Supporting Green Initiatives
At The Garland we’ve implemented several programs that help make our hotel, restaurants and Earth a better place. So whether you’re staying or dining with us, rest assured we are doing everything we can to create a sustainable experience.
- We've recently partnered with PressReader which provides our guests with complimentary access to thousands of digital newspapers and magazines from around the world.
- We've recently partnered with PrintReleaf, a software platform that empowers businesses to sustain and grow our global forestry system. Through integration and software application, PrintReleaf accurately measures a customer's paper consumption then makes it actionable. Customers have the opportunity to select where to reforest their consumption through a network of global reforestation projects.
- We are certified TripAdvisor GreenLeaders – Silver Level.
- Every Earth Day, we host a clothing drive where we donate all proceeds to San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission.
- Our landscaping features drought resistant and native region flora. Sprinkler systems have been replaced with drip watering lines or high efficiency sprinkler heads to aid in conservation.
- The hotel lighting is 90% LED which conserves up to 20% more energy than traditional florescent lighting.
- All rooms include occupancy sensors to minimize HVAC energy consumption.
- Housekeeping uses nontoxic cleaning supplies.
- Our in-room toiletries, LATHER, are locally produced, use sustainable practices and are 100% biodegradable.
- We incorporate organic and fair trade food and beverage whenever possible.
- To conserve water consumption at The Front Yard, water is provided to guests upon request.
And that’s just a small sampling of the green initiatives at The Garland. We are continuously doing our part to make Earth a better place for generations to come. Upcoming improvements include a robust solar system and a substantial increase in EV charging stations.
About our $1.75 per room per night Environmental Sustainability Fee: The Garland was built in in 1972, and although we’ve had a facelift or two since then, the world has changed a lot in terms of energy efficiency and sustainability. New mandates to the City of Los Angeles, via the energy efficiency ordinance #184674 as well as the commitment of ownership to the implementation of green initiatives, have led us to reassess the environmental impact of The Garland and begin to make significant changes. 100% of this small fee is used toward sustainability causes and updates. This fee is a small contribution to the large costs associated with updating a property of this age. Some of these projects include: a robust solar power system reducing energy consumption by 40%, smart thermostats and occupancy sensors in every room, LED lighting across property, and replacement of HVAC systems for increased efficiency.